We love them so much, we will try anything.
When Rory the cat was rushed to the veterinarian in New Zealand after eating rat poison, the doctor turned to the archenemy to save him: a dog.
Veterinarian Kate Heller didn’t have cat blood available, and didn’t have access to a lab to test Rory to find a match. So, she sought advice, and was told to try dog blood. Rory’s owner, Kim Edwards, called a friend and asked if her 18-month-old Labrador Retriever, Macy, could donate the 120ml of blood needed for a rare interspecies transfusion – and it worked.
via A Dog’s Donated Blood Saves Cat’s Life. h/t nom